Saturday, August 25, 2012

Divas You May Have Missed...

One of the joys of summer is having the time to catch-up on things you missed during the rest of the year, whether it's repeats on TV, that pile of magazines or those CDs you haven't listened to yet. So while I enjoy a couple of weeks' holiday/vacation, here's your chance to catch up on those Divas I have blogged you may not yet have had to chance to explore. I'm really grateful that people have taken the time to read this blog and to respond so positively. I've loved writing it and can't believe it's been six months already. I've just welcomed my 10,000th reader, which seems both unbelievable and exciting. Do come back for a brand new blog on Friday 7 September, but in the meantime why not try...



My Most Popular Divas!

Who really knows why some things are bigger hits than others? For whatever reason these are my top five blogs so far:

Sharing my best Chaka Khan performances [That Chaka Moment]

Hailing the new Queen of Country [The New Queen of Country: Carrie Underwood]

Celebrating Kylie's Silver Jubilee [Impossible Princess: Kylie's Silver Jubilee]

Proving Ms Streisand did it all first [Barbra Did It First]

Marvelling at Pet Shop Boys' greatest diva guest stars [Pet Shop Divas]


Dearly Departed Divas!

It all started with the tragic loss of Whitney, they may be gone, but never forgotten:

Whitney's finest moments [Remembering Whitney]

Discovering the impact Donna Summer had on me [Remembering Donna Summer]

Remembering Kirsty MacColl at her very best [Still Life: Remembering Kirsty MacColl]


Unsung Divas!

There are some truly gifted divas out there that don't get the attention they deserve. I will do all I can to put that right:

The truly glorious Julia Fordham deserves your full attention [UnSung Heroine: The Julia Fordham Story]

She may have retired from singing, but Helen Terry's classic solo album needs to be heard [Love Lies Lost: Revisiting Helen Terry]


My Ultimate Diva!

It's probably obvious by the fact she's had four blogs to herself, but for me there's nobody quite like Kate Bush:

Here's my review of her reworked classics on Director's Cut [Unfinished Business: Kate Bush, Director's Cut]

And my epic three-parter on the evolution of her songwriting:

Early years (Pre The Kick Inside to Never For Ever) [The Craft Of Love: Part One]

The Golden Age (The Dreaming to The Red Shoes) [This Woman's Work: Part Two]

The Second Coming (Aerial to 50 Words For Snow) [Deeper Understanding: Part Three]


The Best of the Rest!

I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and a true passion for voices, which hopefully explains how I come to have so many favourite artists! Trust me, I've only scratched the surface. Here are some of my other besties:

My first love was ABBA and my first heartbreak when they split [When All Is Said And Done: ABBA, The Visitors]

Burt Bacharach is a genius and his greatest muse is the incomparable Dionne [Golden Legacy: Dionne, Burt & Hal]

My most recent obsession and Burt's latest muse is the wonderful Rumer [Rumer Has It]

An earlier obsession was this iconic album from Sade [Diamond Life: the arrival of Sade Adu]

If Kate didn't exist (shudder), then Carly would be my number one [Nobody Does It Better: Carly Simon's Movie Songs]

One of the best voices on the planet fully emerged with this classic album [Ingénue: the arrival of k.d. lang]


I love musical theatre (surprise!) and Wicked is my all time favourite [The Elphabas: Wicked's Leading Ladies]

So you won't be shocked that I also love Glee [Class of 2012: Graduating Gleevas!]


So that should keep you going for now. See you in two weeks!

If you enjoyed reading this blog, please consider forwarding it or linking to it from your Facebook or Twitter account. You can post feedback below or to my Twitter account, @divasblogger. Sign up for alerts at divasblogger@gmail.com or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment